D. M. W. Bullock,
Ale and Beer Merchant & Mineral Water Manufacturer
and
S. Travers, Mineral Water Manufacturer


David Mowbray Walker Bullock was born in May 1858, baptised in Clifton, St. Andrew, on 25th May, son of Edward Theodore Bullock and Ellen Eliza Walker. David's namesake grandfather, David Mowbray Walker, had been a prominent figure, Barrister at Law, Justice of the Peace and Alderman for Gloucester. David was educated at a small boarding school at 1 Devonshire Place, Lyncombe, Bath. At this time his parents were living in Bath, where his father was an agent for Bass & Co. brewers. David was to follow in his father's footsteps in this line of business. By 1881 the family were living at 16 Charlotte Street, Brandon Hill, Bristol. By this date Edward had retired and David had begun in the business as an Ale and Porter man for Bass & Co. He was a member of the local Licensed Victuallers Association by 1882.

In 1907 the Bottling Stores at Colston Avenue were being managed by Ernest Kritchell. The mineral water works in Earl Street, formerly Travers & Co., but now D. M. W. Bullock, was still being managed by Samuel Travers. There was also Bullock's Yard, in Charles Street. The company of D. M. W. Bullock, however, was now owned by C. H. Tucker.

David died at 16 Charlotte Street on 19 July 1918, leaving a large estate of 83,389, largely due to the previous sale of his father's ale bottling business which he'd previously sold for 76,997 net. At the time of his death David was a director of Bristol General Cemetery Company, which was potentially handy, he was elected director in 1900, his father having been on the board for 20 years previously. David was particularly fond of his housekeeper, Mary Jane Walford, who had cared for him for many years, she was left his house, 300 and an income for life. He also left items from his personal collection of antiques to Bristol Museum or Art Gallery, many items relating to Bristol or Gloucester.

In 1837 a newly build bottling plant at South-East corner of the junction of Anchor Road and Lower Lamb Street opens, in 1950 the firm of D. M. W. Bullock still has the bottling plant at Anchor Road and by 1961 they were at Flowers Hill advertising "Sunfresh" orange squash.

Samuel Travers was born in Lovington Somerset in 1854, baptised 16 April, son of Emma Travers aged 15. In 1860 Emma married Samuel Dennis White, who may well have been Samuel Travers' father. At age 17 Samuel was an apprentice to a carpenter named Robert W. Porter in Benedict Street, Glastonbury. In 1881 Samuel was a fully trained carpenter and joiner and had moved to lodgings at 3 Thomas Hill (now Thomas Street) near Stokes Croft, Bristol. On 16 June 1882 Samuel married Charlotte Miller, daughter of William Miller of Filton, at Filton St. Peter, Bristol. He had a carpenter's shop at Earl Street, St. James, by 1888. In 1891, Samuel and family were living at 3 Meridian Terrace, Bishopston, where Samuel was a Building Contractor. From 1888-1897 his business was in Earl Street, St. James, still as a builder although his home was still at Meridian Terrace and remained so all his remaining life.

In 1898 Samuel Travers patented a new invention which may have led to his next career: Bristol Mercury - Friday 21 October 1898 p.3: Local Patent "S. Travers, Bristol, means for drawing aerated beverages from jars and other vessels." By. 1899 he was trading as S. Travers & Co. in the Mineral Water business. He had a cart driver called William H. Valentine, they were both summoned in October 1899 for allowing a horse to be worked whilst lame, there was conflicting professional evidence but a fine of 20s. plus costs was imposed on Travers or in default, a month's imprisonment with hard labour.

By 1901 the mineral water business at Earl Street was in full swing, with Samuel employing his son William (aged 17). They remained an independent concern until at least 1904 as this advertisement from the Horfield and Bishopston Record and Montepelier & District Free Press of Saturday 30 April 1904 demonstrates: TRAVERS & CO.'S MINERAL WATERS are the best on the market. Try our KENTORA HOP BITTERS. Manufactory, Earl Street, St. James. However by 1906 Bullock had taken over the Earl Street business, and after a short period as manager Samuel Travers reverted to his original business as building contractor.

Charlotte Travers died in Bristol in 1916 aged 61. Samuel eventually married again to Lucy Catherine Wilcox in Bridgwater in 1927.

Samuel died at Meridian Terrace on 15 Feb 1936.

10oz Codd's Bottle Travers1.jpg
Embossed:  S. TRAVERS & Co. / ST & C monogram / BRISTOL


Glassworks: J. L. & Co. C. (J. Lumb & Co. Castleford)

10oz Codd's Bottle Travers2.jpg
Embossed:  S. TRAVERS & Co. / ST & C monogram / BRISTOL


Glassworks: Powell & Ricketts, Bristol.

Stoneware Ginger Beer Bottle Travers4.jpg
Printed:  S. TRAVERS & Co. / ST & C monogram / BRISTOL


Potter: Powell, Bristol.
Image courtesy Aled Rees.

10oz Codds Bottle Bullock2.jpg
Embossed:  D. M. W. BULLOCK / & Co. LTD / BRISTOL.

Glassworks: South Wales Glass Co. Ltd, makers, Newport.

Split size flat bottomed Hamilton Bottle Bullock3.jpg
Embossed lengthwise in oval:  D. M. W. / BULLOCK  / & Co. / BRISTOL.

Glassworks: not marked. 
"B" in triangle on base.
Bottle courtesy Andrew Ward.

Stone Ginger Beer Bottle Bullock1.jpg
Printed:  *D. M. W. BULLOCK & Co.* / BRISTOL (in circle); MINERAL WATER / MANUFACTURER (inside circle); QUAY HEAD (with floral decoration in centre.)

Potter: Price, Bristol.
Two tone glaze.

Very Large Stone Ginger Beer Bottle Bullock4.jpg
Printed:  *D. M. W. BULLOCK & Co.* / BRISTOL (in circle); MINERAL WATER / MANUFACTURER (inside circle); QUAY HEAD (with floral decoration in centre.)

Potter: Price, Bristol.   Appears over a pint capacity. Two tone glaze.
Image courtesy Avon Collectors Club Member.

Half Pint Beer Bottle
Bullock5.jpgBullock6.jpg
Embossed: (Around shoulder) D.M.W. BULLOCK & Co Ltd / BRISTOL


Glassworks:  Unmarked - Dark Green Glass, Cork Closure.


Return to Town Index