Oliver Jennings Burnett
was born in Huntspill, Somerset, in 1837,
baptised 12th October. He was older brother of Francis
of Calstone Mills, Calne. In 1861 he was living in
lodgings at 2 St. James's Square, Bristol, and was a clerk to a wine and
Oliver, whilst still living in Bristol, married Mary,
second daughter of William Little, a grocer, of Chippenham. The marriage
took place at Chippenham Parish Church, by the Rev. J. A. Henderson, on
the 9th Nov. 1864. William Little was born in Middlebie, Dumfriesshire,
Scotland and had a grocer's business in New Road, Chippenham, and was
married to Mary Ann Spackman relict of William Spackman, gentleman of
Calne. William was formerly a Tea Dealer in Pickwick Road, Corsham. In
1871 Oliver was employed at New Road as Grocer's Assistant and moved to
New Road with Mary and their son Henry Oliver, aged 5, and daughters
Florence Annie (3) and Eleanor Winefred (1) that year. Oliver and Mary had
2 more daughters in Chippenham: Alice Mary, b.1873 and Lily Kathleen, b.
William Little died on 9th March 1873 and part of the
New Road premises on the corner with St. Mary's Place and next to the
grocers was sold off which included that which was occupied by Alfred
Taylor, music seller and photographer. The part of the yard adjoining the
grocery stores was walled off.
By 1911 Oliver had retired, with his wife and daughter
Florence to 39 Abbotsford Road, Redland. His son Henry was running the New
Road store. At the time Thrush's
had opened nearby in direct competition.
Oliver died at Abbotsford Road on 12th October 1925.