The Barton family can be traced back in Lacock to at least the 1680's. Richard Barton was born in 1811, the son of Benjamin Barton (1779-1817) and Catherine Tayler (1778-1861) who had married on 12th April 1801 in Lacock.
Benjamin and Catherine had at least 9 children: Edward (bapt. 18th Apr. 1802); Henry (bapt. 15th May 1803); Sarah (bapt. 1st Jan. 1810); Benjamin (bapt. 18th Oct. 1804); John (bapt. 20th Jul. 1806); Elizabeth (bapt. 8th May 1808); Richard (bapt. 8th Dec. 1811); Susanna (bapt. 28th Nov. 1813) and Mary (bapt. 1st Oct. 1815).
Richard married Harriet Joyce, in Lacock, by license on 24th June 1834. They had children: Edmund Barton (1835-28th April 1860); Emily (1837); William Frederick (1840); Harriet Louisa Barton (1842); Richard Walker Barton (1845, d. 1st June 1861); Mary Ellen Barton (1848) and Francis Barton (1851).
Benjamin Barton died 8th April 1817, aged just 38, he was a baker and corn dealer and an original partner in the Melksham Brewery.
Mary Barton, Richard's sister, married John Gale, a local carpenter and wheelwright, on 29th Nov. 1836, in Lacock. John and Mary had a son, also John Gale, who by 1861 was clerk and cashier at the brewery.
In Perry's Bankrupt Gazette - Sat. 21st April 1855, and in the Devizes and Wiltshire Gazette - Thursday 12 April 1855 with a few more details, it was announced that the partnership between Richard Barton, Benjamin Barton and John Gale of Melksham, Brewers and Wine and Spirit Merchants, trading as Barton & Joyce, was disolved from 26th march by mutual consent, all debts to Richard Barton. This coincided with the death of William Joyce, landlord of the Bear Inn, Melksham (where I think the brewery was situated), and brother of Harriet Joyce, Richard's wife, on 9th July 1854, aged 37. Another brother, Henry, was an innkeeper in Gentle Street, Frome.
In the Bristol Mercury - Saturday 23 April 1859, there appeared a notice that Richard Barton & Co's Beer & Porter Stores had removed from 11 Welsh Back to Albion Wharf, 124 Redcliff Street, Bristol, James Boswell, agent. This seems to be Richard Barton's Bristol wholesale outlet and shipping warehouse.
In 1861 the brewery employed one traveller, one clerk, fifteen men and two boys, quite a large establishment.
On 26th Dec. 1861 Catherine Barton died, in Lacock, aged 83, Principal Registry by the oaths of John Gale, Brewer of Lacock, and John Trescott Brinkworth of Lacock, Baker.
Richard Barton died on 2nd March 1863 in Lacock, effects under £2,000 to widow Harriet.
In 1864 Barton & Co. auctioned off an extensive selection of wines and in 1866 the remainder of their stock. In 1867 they sold the "Kings Head", Market Place, Chippenham. The trade at this time would have been impacted by the decline of the Wilts. & Berks. Canal. In June 1868 Charles Matthews on behalf of the brewery trustees announced the price of their ales was to be reduced by 6s per barrel to 1866 prices, a further sign of tough times, as Barton & Co. had gone into liquidation under assignment. On the 18th of June the trustees announced thee sale of the lease with six inns and public houses included, by private contract. An interesting aside is that Charles Matthews the trustee later married Elizabeth the widow of the late Edmund Barton (Richard's son) of Lacock Brewery who died aged 24.
Richard's widow Harriet
Barton died at Bewley House, Chippenham (Lacock?), on 21st March 1895 aged
85. They are both buried at St. Cyriac's churchyard in Lacock.
|2 Gallon Stone Jar|
|Impressed: R. BARTON &
Co. / Brewers & Spirit Merchants / LACOCK, WILTS.
Potter: Powell, Bristol.
In September 1868 The brewery was acquired by E.
Harris & Co. and on the 1st of May 1869 he was advertising Edwd.
Harris & Co's family and other ales at 1s per gallon and upwards
(that's 5p in today's money), Stout and Porter at 1s 4d per gallon, and
casks of all sizes could now be supplied. Thomas
Hicks Little (b. 1844 in Sheldon - see Slaughterford
Brewery) was Edward Harris's foreman at the brewery. Thomas had been
working there since before 1861 and in 1866 married Harriet
Louisa Barton, he deserves a lot of credit for actually running
the brewery. In 1871 only Thomas Little's family lived there, none
of the owners did. Edward Harris's partners in 1874 were Edward Cator and
Robert Cator. This partnership was dissolved on the 5th March 1877. (Bath Chronicle and Weekly Gazette - Thursday
08 March 1877). I had trouble locating Harris in the records so
the following is not conclusive but a working hypothesis; an Edward Harris
& Co. were also at the Hampstead Brewery, 10 High Street, Hampstead N.
W., Ale & Porter Brewers, Distillers and Wine Importers. The Hampstead
Brewery was previously bankrupted in 1867 after an unsuccessful share
floatation which only returned 8s/£1, Harris appeared in 1868 here, and
his wife Ann was actually running the brewery accounts (Clerkenwell
News - Monday 29 June 1868), they were living at the Hampstead
premises in 1871. Harris was born in St. Giles, Soho, Middx around 1817
(son of Thos. Harris) and Edward's wife in St. Geo. Hanover Sq. about
1827, Edward had a brother Henry who was a brewer and married Margaretta
Frances Mary Penley in Old Church St. Pancras, 1840. In 1859 Edward
Harris's family were at 57 Pentonville Road. Both Henry and Edward were
together at St. James, Pentonville, on 29th May 1859 for the baptism of
their children. In 1861 Harris was a Wine, Spirit & Beer Merchant
living in Gatton House, Gatton, Surrey.
|2 & 4 Gallon Stone Jars|
E. HARRIS & Co. / Brewers & Spirit Merchants / LACOCK,
Potter: Powell, Bristol.
Robert Cator (b. Woodbastwick, Norfolk in 1851 bapt. 1st Jun.) was resident Master Brewer in 1881 at Beweley Lane, Lacock, replacing Thomas Little. Robert had been learning his trade in 1871 in William Bass's Burton-upon-Trent Brewery so should have certainly known his stuff.
A brief history of what followed was summed up rather aptly in an article in the Bath Chronicle and Weekly Gazette - Thursday 01 July 1886, which covered the breakdown of the resulting partnerships and the legal case which followed:
LOCAL LAW CASE
"The case of Cator ex parte Cator and Phillips came before Mr. Baron Pollock and Mr. Justice Cave on Monday in the Divisional Court of Appeal in Bankruptcy. It was an appeal from the decision of the judge of the County Court, Bath, who had declared that the Wilts. and Dorset Bank were entitled to two sums of £548 each against the appellants.
Mr. Arthur Charles, Q.C., appeared for the appellants, and Mr. Horton Smith, Q. C., and Mr. Macaskie for the respondents.
The facts were shortly these :- Prior and up to 1877, Robert and Edward Cator and Edward Harris carried on the business of brewers and wine and spirit merchants at Bath and Lacock, Wiltshire, and in June of that year Edward Cator and Edward Harris retired from the firm, which was then carried on by Robert Cator in partnership with Henry Morgan. To enable them to carry on the business, the Wilts. and Dorset Bank agreed to advance the firm money up to £10,000, secured upon a mortgage upon the business premises, policies &c. To further assist the firm the two retiring partners agreed to leave their respective shares of the capital in the new firm and to charge the same to the bank, and further agreed to guarantee the bank personally for a period of five years. It was also agreed that the sureties should not be proceeded against until the bank had realised their mortgage.
Henry Morgan died in November, 1884, and on the 31st of December following a receiving order was made against Robert Cator, the gross liabilities being £20,559 18s. 9d., and assets £7,688 8s. 8d. Under those proceedings Mr. Edward Cator proved for £1,999 18s. 3d., and Mr. Phillips, mortgagee of Mr. Harris's estate, proved for £1,995 16s. 9d., being their respective shares in the old business at the date of the guarantee being given. Upon the first proof the dividend payable amounted to £518 4s. 7d., and upon the second proof to £548 17s 1d., and these two sums the bank claimed as against the creditors by virtue of their guarantee. In June, 1882, the guarantee expired, and the Banking Company closed the account, which showed a sum of £8,173 16s. 1d. due to them. The guarantors refused to continue their guarantee, and in the September following, as a result of the failure of negotiations between the parties, a notice was served upon Messrs. Morgan and Cator for the payment of £8,173 16s. 1d., or threatening to exercise the power of sale in default. This, however, was not proceeded with, and the bankers opened a new account with the firm. On behalf of the appellants it was submitted that the bank had no right against them until they had exercised their power of sale over the mortgaged property, and that within the five years. This they had not done, and they had therefore, lost their right to interfere with the appellants' dividend, payable out of the estate.
Their lordships, without calling upon the other side, were of the opinion that the transaction between the parties was of such a nature as gave the bank every right to claim the money in question. The order of the court below was therefore upheld, and the appeal dismissed with costs."
Robert Cator was
subsequently adjudicated bankrupt on 17th Jan 1885.
|4 Gallon Stone Jar|
|Impressed: MORGAN &
CATOR. / Lacock Brewery / NR. CHIPPENHAM, WILTS.
Potter: Powell, Bristol.
On 28th Oct. 1885, at St. Michael's Church, Chester-Square, London S.W., Flavius married Annie, widow of the late William Keyes. Annie was born in Heybridge near Maldon, Essex. Annie died in 1914 at Evesham.
SALE OF LACOCK BREWERY
Advertiser and North Wilts Chronicle - Saturday 15 May 1897
"The sale by auction of this well-known brewery, situated at Lacock, about four miles from Chippenham, together with 21 tied houses, 16 of which are freehold and situated at Chippenham, Devizes, Calne, Melksham, Swindon, Corsham and surrounding villages, the property of Mr. F. J. Kingsford, of Lacock, was held on Thursday in last week, at the Great Western Hotel, Chippenham. The sale attracted a large number of brewers, innkeepers, &c. The auctioneer, Mr. Hayward, in submitting the property said those around him were well aware of the advantages of the brewing interest, which kept going ahead. The population increased year by year whilst licenses did not increase, and the opportunity of buying a brewery with 21 houses attached was not one to be met with every day. The property which was offered in one lot, was started at £15,000, and increased by bids of £1,000, till it reached £25,000. Bids of £200 were then taken, and at £25,400 the auctioneer stated the property would be sold. After this bids of £100 were accepted, and the bidding rested between Mr. Blake (Trowbridge), Mr. Burbidge (Chippenham), and Messrs. Wadworth's (Devizes) representative, but the hammer fell to Mr. Blake at £26,000. The freehold house at New Swindon included in the lot was the Rolling Mills Inn, Regent-street."
After selling up, Flavius moved his household to 57 Wickham Road, Deptford St. Paul's, London. By 1911 he was at his place of retirement at "Hillcrest", Evesham.
|2 Gallon Stone Jar|
275 / F. J. KINGSFORD / LACOCK BREWERY / near CHIPPENHAM, WILTS.
Potter: PRICE / Cx / BRISTOL
|2 Gallon Stone Jar|
490 / (in oval) F. J. KINGSFORD / BREWER /WINE & SPIRIT
MERCHANT / LACOCK / CHIPPENHAM
Potter: POWELL / POTTER / BRISTOL (printed).
J. H. & H. Blake's Trowbridge Brewery were at 18 & 19 Union
Street. They were still at both the Trowbridge and the Lacock premises,
listed as Brewers in Lacock, in 1917 (North Wilts. & District
Directory). They had also been millers until 1906. The Union Street
Brewery of J. H. & H. Blake was sold by auction to Ushers Wiltshire
Brewery Ltd. on 30th May 1922. Brewing ceased at Lacock during this period
and it was just a Wine & Spirit Merchants. The Union Street Brewery
became Usher's Wiltshire Brewery Bottling Stores.
|1 Gallon Stone Jar|
J. H. & H. BLAKE LTD. / WINE & SPIRIT MERCHANTS / LACOCK,