Married at Bath, Mr. West, wine and spirit merchant, of Oxford Buildings, near Chippenham, to Miss Poore of Bath. Devizes and Wiltshire Gazette - Thursday 16 April 1829 (Two newspapers failed to get Anne's name correct, but the date was the clue I needed to find Lewis West in the archives).
Lewis West, of Langley, Wilts. was born in Bath on 1 March 1800, baptised at Monmouth Street Moravian Chapel, Bath. He married Anne Bayntun, (born in Corsham, Wilts. in 1808, daughter of Sir Andrew Bayntun Rolt [& Ann Power who was not married to Sir Andrew at the time], at Walcot St. Swithin, Bath, on 8 April 1829 by licence, Anne was 8 years Lewis's junior. The marriage was also solemnised at the Moravian Chapel at East Tytherton, between Bremhill, and Langley Burrell, Wilts on the same day. (Lewis being a member of the "Church of the United Brethren No. 14" which was founded as a Moravian settlement at East Tytherton in 1748, with accomodation and a school for the community, also a chapel, the chapel being rebuilt in 1792.)
Lewis's father was the Rev. Lewis Renatus West, Moravian minister of the United Brethren at Bath, then minister at East Tytherton until his death, in August 1826 age 74, he had been ill since that July. Lewis Renatus West was born on 3 May 1753 and was baptised the same day at the Fetter Lane Moravian Church in London, son of John West and Esther Sutton Hobson. He was educated at the school in the Moravian settlement in Fulneck, Leeds, he became one of the leading musicians of his denomination, along with Christian Ignatius Latrobe; he served as tutor and assistant minister in Bedford; assistant minister in Dublin; and minister in Gracehill, Northern Ireland, Mirfield (York), Bath, Bristol and "Lamb's Acre", East Tytherton in Wilts. from 1812 until his death in 1826. He married Lydia Darby at St. Dunstan in the West, London, on 5 Oct. 1791, and they had children: John (b. 6 May 1797 in Mirfield, York, bapt. 14 May 1797 at Wellhouse Chapel-United Brethern or Moravian, Mirfield, York); Lydia (b. 18 Aug. 1798 at Mirfield, bapt. on 26 Aug. at the same place); Lewis (see above); Peter Cornelius (born 3 July 1802 in Bath, bapt. 4 July at Monmouth Street Moravian, Bath); Thomas Williams (born 5 Aug. 1804 in Bristol, bapt. 12 Aug 1804 at Upper Maudlin Street Moravian, Bristol); William (born 15 Feb. 1806 in Bristol, bapt. 23 Feb. 1806 at Upper Maudlin Street Moravian, Bristol); and Maria (born 2 Apr. 1808 in Bristol, bapt. 10 Apr. 1808 at Upper Maudlin Street Moravian, Bristol). Lewis West the son was living in Tytherton at the time of his father's death and a large bequest was shared among the children.
Lewis and Anne had a daughter Anne Lydia West, born at Oxford Buildings, Langley Burrell on 17 Feb. 1830, baptised at East Tytherton Moravian on 10 March 1830. By 1832 Lewis and Anne had moved over the Severn to Brockweir, near Woolaston in Gloucestershire, where Lewis had become a Moravian Minister like his father. Lewis and Anne had a son Lewis Montgomery West, born in the summer of 1841 at Brockweir.
"At Brockweir a Moravian church was built in 1832-3 with a residence, after the Revd. C. F. Ramftler of Bristol had been invited by local inhabitants to hold services in 1832. The first minister was Lewis West (1832-70) who drew congregations of up to 200 people. After the Moravian synod had decided to close the church, the Monmouth Group of Baptist Churches concluded an agreement for union between the Moravians and Baptists in 1963." (From: Woolaston: Nonconformity: —A History of the County of Gloucester: Volume 10, Westbury and Whitstone Hundreds. Originally published by Victoria County History, London, 1972. p.117.118.)
Anne West's death was reported in the Bristol Mercury - Saturday 17 June 1854: "Lately, in peace and resignation, after a protracted illness, Anne, the beloved wife of the Rev. L. West, of Brockweir, near Chepstow."
Lewis West married again to Mary Anna Livins, daughter of Church of England minister Henry Samuel Livins of Berkely Square, Bristol, at St. George, Brandon Hill, Bristol, on 27 July 1858.
From the Bristol Mercury - Saturday 22 June 1861 page 8, Births: "June 19, the wife of the Rev. Lewis West, of Brockweir, near Tinterne, twin daughters." The girls were daughters Dora Louisa and Clara Eliza.
From the Gloucestershire Chronicle - Saturday 2 October 1869 page 1: "NOTICE is hereby given, that a separate Building, named the MORAVIAN CHAPEL, situated at Brockweir, in the parish of Woollastone, in the county of Gloucester, in the district of Chepstow, being a Building mortified according to Law as a place of Religions Worship, was on the Twenty-third day of September, 1869, duly REGISTERED for SOLEMNIZING MARRIAGES therein, pursuant to the Act of the 6th and 7th William 4, Chap. 86. Witness my hand this 27th day of September, 1869. W. E. TOTE, Superintendent Registrar."
From the Devizes and Wiltshire Gazette - Thursday 04 November 1869 page 3: "MARRIED. On Oct. 13th, at Brockweir, near Tintern Abbey, by the father of the bride, Annie Lydia, eldest daughter of the Rev. Lewis West, to Charles Edward Pinniger, esq., eldest son of the late Broome Pinniger, esq., of East Tytherton, Wilts." The following year Lewis and
From the Weston-super-Mare Gazette, and General Advertiser - Wednesday 20 February 1878 page 2: "The late Rev. Lewis West. —Our obituary contains notice of the death of the Rev. Lewis West, of Clifton. The rev. gentleman was for over thirty years Moravian minister Brockweir, near Tinterne, Monmouth, and recently assistant minister at the Moravian Chapel, Maudlin-street, Bristol. His death took place suddenly on the night of the 11th instant at his residence in Clifton, and the deceased will be very much regretted by large circle of musical and other friends."
Maria Anna West, Lewis's widow, died 24 July 1916 at 3 Ravenswood Road, Redland, Bristol.
|2 Gallon Salt-glaze flagon|
2 / IMPERIAL / WEST / Spirit Merchant / CHIPPENHAM.
Potter: possibly made in Bristol.